Toronto Celebrates World Lindy Hop Day -May 27th, 2017A Premier Fundraiser Event for TLH a Not-For-Profit Organization & The Frankie Manning Foundation
EVENT IS SOLD OUT!!! There will be NO TICKETS AT THE DOOR.
JOIN US for a night of 1930’s/1940’s BIG BAND MUSIC & SWING DANCING in a fantastic VINTAGE VENUE celebrating the original Swing Dance, THE LINDY HOP! All Ages Welcome! An Event for Everyone, 2 Beginner Dance Lessons Avail.
ABOUT: Each year, Toronto has hosted a celebration promoting the spirit of Frankie Manning, Ambassador of Lindy Hop (the swing dance of the 1930s/40s and today). Festivities fall on or around Frankie’s birthday: May 26th. The last two years we have shifted our focus only slightly to also encompass ‘World Lindy Hop Day‘ (which is also on May 26th), to celebrate everyone who is keeping what Frankie and the other originators of Swing help create, alive today!
THIS YEARS EVENT-May 27th, 2017 with Big Band Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils (7pm-1am)
We are excited to announce that we are hosting TOWLHD at the Beautiful and Historic Jam Factory (2 Matilda St 2nd Floor).
- Fancy Outfit Night (Break out your best dance outfits. Please note this is not mandatory)
- 2 Beginner Swing Dance Lessons (7-9pm. No partner needed and incl in ticket price). Teachers: Caitlin Wellman & Partner
- 50/50 Draw. ALL Money raised from the Draw are being donated to the Frankie Manning Foundation (Tickets: $2 for 1 ticket, $20 for an arm length (12 Plus and we are using a long arm)). Tickets can also be purchased using credit at the front door.
- Special Performances (during 1st band break)
- DJ’d Band Breaks – Featuring Guest DJ from Montreal, Gabrielle Kern
- Cash Bar
RSVP to the Facebook Invite (to have up-to-date details)
Curious on what Lindy Hop/Swing Dance is all about? Check out these 2 Videos (Please note, these are not videos of our event). Warning..you will WANT to dance after watching them 🙂
Toronto Lindy Hop’s:
SCHEDULE & IMPORTANT INFO FOR THE NIGHT
Schedule for the Evening: NOTE: There is NO CASH MACHINES AT THE VENUE.
- 6:30pm: DOORS OPEN
- 7:00pm: ‘The Shim Sham’, no partner needed, line dance that is part of the history of the Lindy Hop dance and WILL be danced later on in the evening by many other Lindy Hoppers. Lessons Taught by Caitlin & Partner
- 8:00pm: Partnered Lindy Hop Beginner lesson (No partner needed)
- 9:00pm: DJ’d Music & Bar Opens (Cash or $20 Min purchase to use Credit for Bar) & 50/50 RAFFLE TICKETS are on Sale**
- **ALL money raised from this draw will be directly donated to the Frankie Manning Foundation
- Cost of tickets for the 50/50 draw: $2 for 1 ticket or $20 for an arm’s length (12 plus, and we are using a long arm lol).
- The Winner will be announced before the end of the last band break (and you must be in attendance to win)
- 9:30pm: Martin Loomer & His Orange Devils
- 10:15pm: Band Break & Special Performances
- 10:45pm: Martin Loomer & His Orange Devils Set 2
- 11:30pm: DJ Band w/ Guest DJ Gabrielle Kern from Montreal!
- 12:00am (this time might change to a bit earlier): Martin Loomer & His Orange Devils Devils Set 3 & the Announcement of the 50/50 Winners before the band goes on
- 12:45am: End of Live Music, DJ Music till 1:30am
IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT THE NIGHT: PLEASE READ!
LOCATION: Jam Factory-2 Matilda St.
PARKING: There is no parking at the building, but you can park on the street (but you have to be off by midnight to avoid getting a ticket) or you can park at the nearby GREEN P Queen & Broadview that is a short walk away.
For TTC (aka Public Transit) Options: It’s just a 3 min walk from the Queen St. Streetcar but visit www.ttc.ca to map your way.
CASH: There is NO CASH MACHINE ON SITE! So please bring money for the Cash Bar and for the 50/50 Raffle ($2 a ticket or $20 for a long arm length 12+. CREDIT: You will be able to use credit at the Bar if you are spending $20 or more (or a tab) and if you are purchasing $20 Raffle Tickets.
BAR: Opens at 9pm, but during the Lessons Water will be avail for Sale for $1 (and also during the night). There will also be pop avail.
BAGS & COATS: There will be a supervised coat and bag area when you arrive at the venue. Due to needing dance floor space upstairs we request that dance bags, big bags and coats be left in this space (purses are fine to take upstairs). They will be safe.
TICKETS: Once again there are NO TICKETS AT THE DOOR. Your name will be at the door when you arrive for those who have an event ticket.
Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils
Step into a bygone era and enjoy an enchanting night of music by Martin Loomer’s 14 piece swing band orchestra! Featuring music by Duke Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Jimmie Lunceford, Benny Carter, Count Basie and many more!
NOTE: The Band does not play big dance spaces very often (very rare), so this one of the best opportunities to see them in this environment.
Here is Martin and his Orange Devils in action at last years TOWLHD event!
Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils at TUX 2015
Martin Loomer at the Monarch Tavern
The Jam Factory-An industrial retro-rustic event space
The Jam Factory is a recently-revitalized retro-rustic event space in Toronto’s trendy Leslieville neighbourhood. Built in 1868, and located just above Merchants Cafe, the historic brick and wood beam interior overlooks the Don Valley and is illuminated with natural light and stunning sunsets.
The Dance Floor: The floors are excellent for dancing on as they have give to them, almost like dancing on a wood sprung floor. This is a dancers dream floor!
Here is a video from the Feb 28th, 2017 Grand Opening Mardi Gras/Swing Dance Party.
Location: 2 Matilda St 2nd Floor, Toronto.
50/50 Draw to raise funds for the Frankie Manning Foundation
This year we are running a 50/50 draw to raise funds for the Frankie Manning Foundation.
Who is the Frankie Manning Foundation (FMF)?
FMF carries on the work and spirit of swing dancer Frankie Manning. They sponsor programs, events, and educational initiatives that spread the joy of Lindy hop. Please visit their website for all the details on their programs and to learn a bit more about Frankie. WEBSITE
Ticket Prices & how to purchase:
- $2 for 1 ticket or $20 for an arm’s length (12 plus, and we are using a long arm lol).
- Tickets will be on sale starting at 9pm at the door and from a designated volunteer and you can purchase with Cash or Credit (for $20 tickets)
When will the draw take place?
- Draw will take place before the end of the last Band Break (after 11pm). Must be in attendance to win.
We thank you in advance for your support to this wonderful organization.
We are excited to announce that included with your ticket are special dance performances from various studios and members of our Lindy Hop Dance Community!
The Special Performances (During 1st Band Break) are:
- Girlnacular Jazz
- Oh Snap!
- The Alliance
- The Rebellion
Countdown to Toronto Celebrates World Lindy Hop Day
Have a question? Here is a handy FAQ post to help you with whatever you want to know about "Toronto World Lindy Hop Weekend May 22nd-24th". Note: Purchase Weekend & Dance Passes HERE. The Special Guests: Q. Who is coming to Teach & Give a Talk at Toronto World...