Toronto Celebrates World Lindy Hop Day -May 27th, 2017A Premier Fundraiser Event for TLH a Not-For-Profit Organization & The Frankie Manning Foundation
Tickets ON SALE – BUY TICKETS HERE
JOIN US for a night of 1930’s/1940’s BIG BAND MUSIC & SWING DANCING in a fantastic VINTAGE VENUE celebrating the original Swing Dance, THE LINDY HOP! All Ages Welcome! An Event for Everyone, 2 Beginner Dance Lessons Avail.
ABOUT: Each year, Toronto has hosted a celebration promoting the spirit of Frankie Manning, Ambassador of Lindy Hop (the swing dance of the 1930s/40s and today). Festivities fall on or around Frankie’s birthday: May 26th. The last two years we have shifted our focus only slightly to also encompass ‘World Lindy Hop Day‘ (which is also on May 26th), to celebrate everyone who is keeping what Frankie and the other originators of Swing help create, alive today!
THIS YEARS EVENT-May 27th, 2017 with Big Band Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils (7pm-1am)
We are excited to announce that we are hosting TOWLHD at the Beautiful and Historic Jam Factory (2 Matilda St 2nd Floor).
Special Note: If you regularly attend Saturday Night Swing at the Dovercourt, there will be NO dance there this night. This dance replaces this event.
- Fancy Outfit Night (Break out your best dance outfits. Please note this is not mandatory)
- 2 Beginner Swing Dance Lessons (7-9pm. No partner needed and incl in ticket price). Teachers: Caitlin Wellman & Lawrence
- 50/50 Draw. ALL Money raised from the Draw are being donated to the Frankie Manning Foundation (Tickets: $2 for 1 ticket, $20 for an arm length (12 Plus and we are using a long arm)). Tickets can also be purchased using credit at the front door.
- Special Performances
- DJ’d Band Breaks – Featuring Guest DJ from Montreal, Gabrielle Kern
- Cash Bar
Tickets (Tickets Avail – BUY HERE):
$30 Reduced Rate Advanced Limited Tickets are now SOLD OUT!! Tickets for TOWLHD are now $40 in advance and will only be avail at the door if space is permitting. So buy early to avoid disappointment. Beginner swing Lessons are included in the price (note: there is no reduced ticket rate if you are not taking the classes)
RSVP to the Facebook Invite (to have up-to-date details)
Out of Town Dancers: Do you need a place to stay when you visit Toronto? Email email@example.com and we will find you a great host.
Curious on what Lindy Hop/Swing Dance is all about? Check out these 2 Videos (Please note, these are not videos of our event). Warning..you will WANT to dance after watching them 🙂
Toronto Lindy Hop’s:
Schedule for the Evening (Subject to Change):
- 7:00pm-Beginner lesson # 1 (lessons incl in Ticket, no partner needed)
- 8:00pm-Beginner lesson # 2
- 9:00pm-9:30pm- DJ Swing Music, Cash Bar Open & 50/50 Tickets are on sale (50/50 Draw will be done before the last Band Set (must be in attendance to win))
- 9:30pm-12:30am- Big Band Martin Loomer & His Orange Devils
- Special Performances during Band Breaks
- 12:30am-1:00am DJ Swing Music
- 1:00am-The End. Thanks for coming!
Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils
Step into a bygone era and enjoy an enchanting night of music by Martin Loomer’s 14 piece swing band orchestra! Featuring music by Duke Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Jimmie Lunceford, Benny Carter, Count Basie and many more!
NOTE: The Band does not play big dance spaces very often (very rare), so this one of the best opportunities to see them in this environment.
Here is Martin and his Orange Devils in action at last years TOWLHD event!
Martin Loomer and His Orange Devils at TUX 2015
Martin Loomer at the Monarch Tavern
The Jam Factory-An industrial retro-rustic event space
The Jam Factory is a recently-revitalized retro-rustic event space in Toronto’s trendy Leslieville neighbourhood. Built in 1868, and located just above Merchants Cafe, the historic brick and wood beam interior overlooks the Don Valley and is illuminated with natural light and stunning sunsets.
The Dance Floor: The floors are excellent for dancing on as they have give to them, almost like dancing on a wood sprung floor. This is a dancers dream floor!
Here is a video from the Feb 28th, 2017 Grand Opening Mardi Gras/Swing Dance Party.
Location: 2 Matilda St 2nd Floor, Toronto. Easy to get to via TTC and parking avail.
50/50 Draw to raise funds for the Frankie Manning Foundation
This year we are running a 50/50 draw to raise funds for the Frankie Manning Foundation.
Who is the Frankie Manning Foundation (FMF)?
FMF carries on the work and spirit of swing dancer Frankie Manning. They sponsor programs, events, and educational initiatives that spread the joy of Lindy hop. Please visit their website for all the details on their programs and to learn a bit more about Frankie. WEBSITE
Ticket Prices & how to purchase:
- $2 for 1 ticket or $20 for an arm’s length (12 plus, and we are using a long arm lol).
- Tickets will be on sale starting at 9pm at the door and from a designated volunteer and you can purchase with Cash or Credit (for $20 tickets)
When will the draw take place?
- Draw will take place before the last Band Set (after 11pm). Must be in attendance to win.
We thank you in advance for your support to this wonderful organization.
Countdown to Toronto Celebrates World Lindy Hop Day
Originally Posted May 16th, 2016 As a not-for-profit organization, Toronto Lindy Hop is 100% run by volunteers who are dedicated to improving and enriching the swing dancing experience in Toronto; and to building a friendly, vibrant, and fun social Lindy Hop...